Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go bag is packed. Only things missing are phone charging cords and wall plug. And snacks. Feeling alternately terrified and excited. Hubby still needs to pack his go bag.

Baby room is pretty much done. Need to make up the spare bed and hang up the changing table supply caddy. And hang up the one in the master bedroom.

Need to write down instructions for the quail, rabbits, cats, dogs, and plants. Dunno who will be in charge of those but hopefully we'll only be away from the house a day or two. Guess I should get that figured out too...

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm, not much changed since Monday.

Hubby finished mudding the drywall and sanded it. Needs texture and primer, then can paint. Hubby thinks we should do gray accent wall on fireplace wall, and same green on wall in dining that we did in den. Apparently he invited some people over to paint this evening so I guess I don't get a vote. We'll see what it looks like when I get home.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Work gave me my birthday plant early, as I am going to be out the week of my birthday and it's up in the air as to whether I go in each day now. We made it to 38 weeks yesterday, so less than 14 days till junior's due date.

The birthday plant was an avocado! I got to pick the variety and I'm pretty excited to have a named variety to go along with my unknown-grown-from-seed avocados. I think this one is a type B, I'm very tempted to go buy a type A so everything will have a chance at pollination. I'm also wondering how long it will take before I could potentially take a scion from this little plant and put it on the bigger home grown ones. I know left to themselves it would probably be years before they fruit. The biggest one I think has grown at least a foot this year.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday again, guess I should update.

The texture got added to 2/3 walls, but not the small wall. Took 3 cans of texture. We decided it was on purpose since hubby will have to cut holes in that drywall anyways to move a light switch and run electrical wiring. He can patch and texture it later. It did get primed, but not painted. The other two walls got a first coat of paint. We used the same green 'Urban Nature' as in the den for the dining room wall. We chose 'Rainmaster' for the fireplace wall. Both have streaking (green is worse) so a second coat is required.

Hubby's extended family descended upon the house on Saturday and helped clean and organize. Hubby is still very stressed waiting for the munchkin to arrive. Three more days to make it till October. In two more days we'll be at 39 weeks.

Den has stuff I need to file and put away, then it will be pretty much clean. Cat room (third bedroom) is better organized but still has too much stuff. I think those are the last two rooms needed to finish off and we'll actually be organized inside the house.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Once we build the garage I plan to replace the fence with a nice block wall, stuccoed, with a moon gate. The wall will be attached to the garage and go up to the neighbors fence along the property line, and then over to the house (hopefully expanded by that time).
Ok, I have to ask, what's a moon gate? The wall sounds like it will be beautiful

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have to ask, what's a moon gate? The wall sounds like it will be beautiful
It's a circle, or looks like a circle. I'm not quite sure yet how we would have the actual gate inside it though, as I want it to stay closed to keep the dogs/children in the front yard and critters out.

These are the screenshots I took for my inspiration.

Screenshot_20210802-160243.png
Screenshot_20210802-152419~2.png