Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A tractor will seem like a miracle just appeared. It will help y’all get a lot of work done.

Eli Dog got ripped from his home and blames you for it. Go figure the mind of a dog, not just any ol’ dog, but an Anatolian dog! He looks good, maybe he’ll warm up to you. Poor guy, his world got destroyed and now he’s in a whole ‘nother place.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
A tractor will seem like a miracle just appeared. It will help y’all get a lot of work done.

Eli Dog got ripped from his home and blames you for it. Go figure the mind of a dog, not just any ol’ dog, but an Anatolian dog! He looks good, maybe he’ll warm up to you. Poor guy, his world got destroyed and now he’s in a whole ‘nother place.
He felt the same way about his previous owner, apparently....she said he was friendly but aloof, which is how I would describe him....not exactly friendly but he's not aggressive either. I'd say submissive but anxious if I had to describe him. It's likely from having 6 owners in 10 yrs time.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel opened up his heart, Eli Dog closed his, probably more hurt than he could take.

My horse Sparkles is like Eli Dog, distant. She is 35, we’ve had her 23 years. She was abused and has never got over it. I call her compliant but distant. I have never been able to reach her. She does like to be brushed and will stand still without being tied. It took 12 YEARS for that. Some animals and some people just never get over the hurt.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel opened up his heart, Eli Dog closed his, probably more hurt than he could take.

My horse Sparkles is like Eli Dog, distant. She is 35, we’ve had her 23 years. She was abused and has never got over it. I call her compliant but distant. I have never been able to reach her. She does like to be brushed and will stand still without being tied. It took 12 YEARS for that. Some animals and some people just never get over the hurt.
I agree....some never trust again. But...it was HIS fault he ran through so many owners, as he was an escape artist. Willfully wanting his own way and refused to be confined by fencing. To me, that's not a smart dog...if you want your home, STAY at your home. Any dog that doesn't stay here, doesn't GET to stay here. The only reason Eli dog hasn't left is due to the Ecollar system...or old age.....if he runs through that, I'll attempt to catch him long enough to get the collar back and let him go. I have no interest in keeping an animal here that wants to be free.

Animals, much like people, having different personalities, also have a choice to obey their tendencies or overcome them and obey their master instead. Those that obey the master usually get a life long home....usually....not always, but with these LGDs, the roamers and runners tend to get rehomed. At my house, if you obey the rules, you get a good home for life. Repeatedly rebel against the rules, you take a long walk to nowhere. In Eli Dog's case, I think the only thing keeping him here is that he's too old to fend for himself any longer, too crippled to run and roam.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some Anatolians are more aloof than others. It may just be his personality. It is certainly a breed characteristic to be aloof from anyone except family members. Don't take it personally.
I've had four other Anatolians besides this one and one Anatolian mix besides that and not a single one could be categorized as "aloof".....not even close. In fact, I'd call them all velcro dogs and not just to family....anyone we introduce to them has a dog in their pocket from then on if they pet them. One pet and you have to KEEP petting. My 'Tolians LOVE attention, from anyone and everyone.

This dog is just rather strange, is all. I don't take it personally, but it's mildly frustrating when you do everything that usually works and the dog acts like you are public enemy #1. It's just weird and not a bit dog-like. The only other dogs I've met like him were all living in Rhode Island and/or with strangely aloof people....my boys and I would go to the beach and see people walking with their dogs running out ahead of them and not a single dog we met was friendly or dog-like, in that they were joyful at being at the beach nor did they run up to you to meet you and get affection. My boys said, "Look, Mom, the dogs are just like the people!" and they were right....met one person in our 3 mo. there that was normal, kind, friendly. The rest were actively rude and downright mean.

I think this dog was raised by strange folk and likely developed his aloof, wary behavior from that raising. All the dogs we raise are happy, joyful and eager to please, eager to love and be loved, no matter the breed.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
A pic of this new paddock that I moved the sheep to late last evening....just one night and a morning in there and you can see how much eating and trampling has gone on! We like them to stay in there at least 4-6 days...the last few paddocks have been only 4 days due to the size but this one was a tad larger in width.

DSCF0191.JPG (6.15MiB)

The shade shelter has been the most wise addition to our paddocks, though each paddock has some level of shade, they seem to prefer the shelter instead. We move it daily, away from the poop deposited each day and night....LOTS of poop and trampling at this site. This one shows a newly moved shelter, so the grass is quite clean and intact.

DSCF0188.JPG (8.34MiB)

Our new jump pen for the dog's automatic feeder....Pinky finally learned how to access it and get back out again.

DSCF0190.JPG (8.38MiB)

The water wagon, truly a godsend for a rotational grazing setup....cool water dispensed as they drink it down enough to activate the float. No mucky, warm or algae ridden water. No water waste. It also holds our mineral feeder, a locker for extra dog food, a bucket full of minerals, misc. items and even a fly trap hanging overhead. Easy to move, easy to fill and the push in stakes help to stabilize it on uneven terrain.

DSCF0187.JPG (8.03MiB)

Latest posts